Minnesota has significant economic opportunities all across the state. Regions throughout Greater Minnesota share many qualities and challenges, but lack the intentional alignment needed to take advantage of shared priorities and maximize the use of resources. The lack of alignment has led to a limited voice in crafting effective development policy based on regional priorities. DevelopMN will help identify needed alignment and document a broadly supported strategy for creating shared prosperity.
DevelopMN has identified four cornerstones for strong regions and communities:
What will be accomplished?
Minnesota Regional Development Organizations are working collectively to accomplish the following:
- Create a common framework for regional economic plans, including a template for data collection, assessment, strategies, and measures of success
- Develop regional strategies that address the special challenges and opportunities of each part of the state
- Create a framework for state action that will enhance and support economic development efforts at the local and regional level
- Develop and implement an approach that effectively engages state partners
- Raise the bar on what constitutes effective rural economic development in Minnesota
Why is this important?
The beginning of the 21st century presents a number of challenges and opportunities to rural Minnesota as it charts its economic future. An economy that is now driven by innovation demands that we create an environment that nurtures its talent and workforce, supports entrepreneurship and creates communities that can support both. In order for rural Minnesota to succeed, there needs to be a strong, collective and credible voice that can create and move forward an economic agenda at the local, state, and federal level.
Regional Development Organizations are committed to providing that collective leadership for rural Minnesota.View Full DevelopMN 2017 Plan